Tuesday 26 July 2011

Fussy eaters

Just like me, the jirds appear to only like what isn't good for them. They are turning out to be quite fussy eaters!

Things they like (so far):
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Millet
  • Almond
  • Walnut
  • Bread
  • Broccoli
  • Cherry tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Carrot
  • Dried corn on the cob
  • Dried fruit
Things they don't like:
  • Mealworms (I was very surprised at this, my last two loved them!)
  • The entirety of gerri gerbil mix! All the pieces get taken out the bowl, nibbled, and discarded at the side. They seem to be quite methodical about this, going through all of the bowl until they get to the good stuff, leaving me a nice mess to clean up in the morning!

Clearly I have jirds who like gourmet dining only. I know fruit and veg sounds ok, but I've read in a few places that they should only have it once a week so they don't get bad tummies. In an effort to try and get them to eat more of their 'proper' food, I only give them small amounts of the treat food each time but they just won't eat the gerri gerbil. Oh dear. Hopefully they'll get a taste for it as they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment