Monday 25 July 2011

Megazorb squashing and house amendments

I vacuum bagged the megazorb today. This was actually quite successful although when decanting it out of the sack I did manage to get a great deal of it over myself and the carpet. It didn't compress as much as I was expecting, but still enough for it to be more manageable. It meant I could hide it easily in a space behind a cupboard!



Now I've had a chance to see what the jirds get up to in their house, I've moved the toys round a bit. The wheel got moved to the bottom after one of the jirds managed to get on top of it, and then roll off and fall to the bottom. Luckily he was ok but I didn't want another one to do it and hurt himself. They were investigating the wheel yesterday and finally worked out what it did! They quite like it now.

Another small amendment has been the addition of a new water bottle. The one I had before stuck on the glass but as soon as I put water in it, it leaked. I was also worried about it being plastic and the jirds chewing it. I got one of the basic water bottles and made one of the ventilation holes bigger so I could push the spout through from the back. It worked well, apart from the bottle was quite bulky and I couldn't push the cabinet all the way back against the wall. As a solution I found a 'flat bac' bottle online which takes up less space. It also comes with a floating duck inside so you can see when it needs refilling - novelty value! These bottles come with a clip to attach them to wire cages, and you can also buy suckers if you want to attach it to a smooth surface. Here is the link to the website I bought it from: http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/product.php/2507/0

I've used plastic coated wire to hold the bottle in place. The wire is held by a ventilation hole and one of the eye screws left over from putting the ladders up.


Spout comes in from the back. The jirds have sniffed it, but not used it yet. Until I see them use it they have a little dish of water inside the house as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment